Field School Session 2

We have just finished our third week of field school here at Strawbery Banke! Three new students joined us as some of the other students left.  As we dig deeper we have begun to encounter layers from the 19th century. Pennies from 1879 and 1889, along with jars from various 19th dates indicate the time period we have been working in.
Our most notable finds include a cobblestone feature and unidentified brick feature. Several theories about the cobblestone feature include:
  • It was used to fill the tidal inlet that was once the center of the Puddle Dock neighborhood.
  • It was a spillway - a passage for water to travel. This would have been important when the inlet was filled and extra water needed to be drained.
We don’t think it was a cobblestone road because of how uneven and large the stones are, which would make it very difficult for foot traffic or carriages. As for the brick feature - we hope to uncover more features and artifacts that indicate its use in the past.

Mapping the brick feature

Meet our New Field School students!
Kristen: This is Kristen’s second time to Strawbery Banke for the Penhallow House dig. She is incredibly passionate about archaeology and  has been since she was a girl. She recently graduated with an MA in history, and she will be starting UCONN's PhD program in history this fall. Archaeology is important to her because she  loves incorporating archaeological research into historical research, and finding the mysteries of the past in material form!

Jessica: Jess’ interest in the Strawbery Banke Archaeological Field School stems from her curiosity in art history, and the process of an archaeological dig itself. “As a high school student I feel that I haven't been exposed to archaeology as much as I'd like to be. I am involved with this program so that I can get a better idea of what path I'd like to take as I ready myself for college. My favorite part of the field school so far is the digging, it's so entertaining to see what we'll uncover- whether it be animal bone fragments or small glass medicine bottles. The field school has taught me so much that I didn't know before, and immensely developed my interest in archaeology. I'm grateful to have had the opportunity to take part in this program and am already planning my return for next year.”

Caroline: Caroline  is a rising junior at the University of New Hampshire majoring in anthropology and will be starting a  minor in forensics this coming fall. She is originally from Massachusetts, close to Boston. Caroline has  always loved watching documentaries on ancient cultures ever since childhood and has always loved the way that cultures evolved. She participated in the Belize January term program at UNH this past year where she learned how to excavate, survey, and map sites of Maya mounds. “Being a part of the SBM summer field school is allowing me to get experience and to hone my skills for the future, and provides me with the great opportunity to learn more about the local history right by my school.”

Jess and a glass bottle found last week

Kristen and the 1879 penny

Caroline and a glass bottle from last week
Stay tuned this week for special blog posts from field students and updates from our last week!

Comments