2018 Summer Field School

Hi all! My name is Alex, not to be confused with Alix, who is Strawbery Banke's wonderful archaeologist! I study Classical and Near Eastern Archaeology at Bryn Mawr College, right outside of Philadelphia. I grew up about an hour south of Portsmouth, in Andover, Massachusetts, and I worked at the Robert S. Peabody Institute of Archaeology in Andover. With the Peabody I participated in small-scale digs of the so-called Mansion House, which was a historic house in Andover. I am very interested in making archaeology understandable and interesting to the public and what role archaeology can play in the classroom. This interest was sparked through my work with the Peabody's educator and collections manager and through my internship last summer at Old Sturbridge Village, where I was a costumed interpreter, very similar to the roleplayers at Strawbery Banke. Because the field school site is actually on museum grounds, at Penhallow House, I am really excited to be able to interact with the public on site and hopefully be able to engage visitors in the archaeology as it happens!

As to recent events, on Tuesday, May 29th, Strawbery Banke hosted Jade Luiz, who gave a lecture titled, "A Very Quiet House: The Archaeology of a 19th-Century Boston Brothel." The lecture connected very well with the topic of the Collection Department's newest exhibit, Vice, which is opening on Friday, June 1st. The exhibit explores changing tastes and taboos from the 17th century to the present.

Comments